Joy is more than a feeling; it is a way of thinking that can affect not only yourself, but those around you. The first step to leading a joyful life is to change the way you think. Instead of getting up in the morning grumbling about what’s for breakfast and how you really wanted to sleep for another 15 minutes, change your attitude and be thankful that you have another day to live and enjoy. Be thankful for the blessings that you have: physical possessions are transitory, but the character we develop will last through our lives. Try to live joyfully by seeing the positive side of situations; enjoying the blessings that you are given; being thankful for the physical possessions you have; valuing the people that are special to you ….
If you plan to work on the Joy Badge, here are a few ideas for your meetings:
- What is Joy? Sit down and talk with your girls about what Joy means to them. Create list of ways they can be joyful in their life regardless of their circumstances.
- Start a Joy Journal! Make and decorate a simple journal and have your girls record ways they find joy or bring joy to others every day (If they don’t do it every day, don’t worry, this is just to get them thinking about joy and bringing joy to others.) Younger girls can draw pictures instead of writing if you wish.
- Many flowers have meanings. Have the girls use the meanings to show what joy means to them by creating a flower bouquet. Print out a line drawing of a vase and line drawings of a dozen or so flowers each with a different meaning. Have the girls choose 6 that show character traits that reflect joy to them (examples might include love, happiness, friendship, etc.) . Color the flowers and vase. Then cut out the flowers and glue them to the page with the vase to create a bouquet. Stems and leaves can be drawn in where necessary. At the top print “This is Joy!”.
- Happy memories with our friends and family can bring us joy even long after they happened. Talk about joyful memories you have, and make a list of ways you can make more fun memories (Christmas cookie palooza, Family game night, etc.). Sometimes even families can become so busy they don’t take time to make new, fun memories. Add to your list joyful things you can do with your families in less than 15 minutes.
- Hold a sleepover and watch funny movies, play silly games, and tell jokes to each other.
- Organize a Time of Joy where your troop can go and tell jokes, perform skits, sing silly songs and bring joy to others such as a senior citizen facility or hospital. Ideas for your event are listed below. Make sure to involve your audience as much as possible in your activities.
Poor Pussy: Have everyone sit in a circle with one person in the middle That person approaches someone, and meows at them 3 times. The person being meowed at must pat the “cat” on the head and say “Poor pussy, poor pussy, poor pussy” without smiling. If they succeed, the “cat” must find another person. If they smile, they become the “cat”.
Honey Do You Love Me?: The person in them middle has to come to someone in the circle, sit in their lap (or put an arm around them) and say, “Honey if you love me, smile!” The other person must say, “I love you honey, but I just can’t smile.” If they smile, they become the person in the middle.
The Parson’s Cat. Pick a letter, let’s say C. Everyone sits in a circle and takes turns saying “The Parsons cat is a Cute Cat” or “The parson’s cat is a crabby cat” etc. . If you can’t think of an adjective with the correct letter that has not been used you are “out”!
Link to our Youtube video with hand motions to silly actions songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttdaz-lUl_E&feature=youtu.be
Link to the Songs page of our website: http://frontiergirlsclubs.com/my-login-page/songs/
Silly songs include:
My Aunt Came Back
One Bottle of Pop
Peanut Butter and Jelly
I’m a Little Pile of Tin
Interactive stories get your audience involved in storytelling. Every time key words are said, the audience makes a required sound or statement. Use poster board to print the statements on and then “flash” them at the audience to remind them what to say when.
A wife was making a breakfast of fried eggs (Sizzle, Sizzle) for her husband.
Suddenly, her husband burst into the kitchen.
“Careful,” he said. “CAREFUL! Put in some more butter!
Oh my Goodness! You’re cooking too many at once. TOO MANY!
Turn them! TURN THEM NOW! We need more butter. Oh my GOODNESS! WHERE are we going to get MORE BUTTER? They’re going to STICK!
Careful . CAREFUL! I said be CAREFUL! You NEVER listen to me when you’re cooking! Never!
Turn them! Hurry up! Are you CRAZY? Have you LOST your mind?
Don’t forget to salt them. You know you always forget to salt them. Use the salt. USE THE SALT! THE SALT!”
The wife stared at him. “What in the world is wrong with you? You think I don’t know how to fry a couple of eggs (Sizzle, Sizzle)?”
The husband calmly replied, “I just wanted to show you what it feels like when I’m driving.”
A famous art collector is walking through the city when he notices a mangy cat (Meow!) lapping milk from a saucer in the doorway of a store and he does a double take.
He notices that the saucer is extremely old and could be sold (Ka-Ching) for a lot of money, so he walks casually into the store and offers to buy the cat (Meow) for two dollars.
The store owner replies, “I’m sorry, but the cat (Meow) isn’t for sale.
The collector says, “Please, I need a hungry cat around the house to catch mice . I’ll pay you twenty dollars for that cat (Meow).”
And the owner says “Sold (Ka-Ching).” And he hands over the cat (Meow).
The collector continues, “Hey, for the twenty bucks I wonder if you could throw in that old saucer. The cat’s (Meow) used to it and it’ll save me from having to get a dish.”
And the owner says, “Sorry buddy, but that’s my lucky saucer. So far this week I’ve sold sixty-eight cats!” (Meow!)
Print out the riddles and jokes below and cut into slips of paper. Put the slips in a funny gift bag. Have everyone sit in a circle and pass the bag around and have each person pull out a slip and tell the joke or riddle. Make sure to print them in large enough type that seniors can read them.
What happens when it rains cats and dogs?
You have to been careful not to step in a poodle.
Why did the butcher make his sausages with meat at one end and corn meal at the other?
Because in hard economic times, it’s difficult to make both ends meat.
Where do lawyers live?
In legal pads.
How do you make a skeleton laugh?
By tickling his funny bone.
When should baseball players wear armor?
When they play knight games.
What do clowns get paid?
What do dentists like most about amusement parks?
Why did the robber take a bath?
To make a clean get away!
How Do You Catch A Unique Rabbit?
Unique Up On It.
How Do You Catch A Tame Rabbit?
Tame Way, Unique Up On It.
How Do Crazy People Go Through The Forest?
They Take The Psycho Path.
How Do You Get Holy Water?
You Boil The Hell Out Of It.
What Do Eskimos Get From Sitting On The Ice too Long?
What Do You Call A Boomerang That Doesn’t work?
What Do You Call Cheese That Isn’t Yours?
What Do You Call Santa’s Helpers?
What Do You Call Four Bullfighters In Quicksand?
What Do You Get From A Pampered Cow?
What Do You Get When You Cross A Snowman With A Vampire?
What Lies At The Bottom Of The Ocean And Twitches?
A Nervous Wreck.
What’s The Difference Between Roast Beef And Pea Soup?
Anyone Can Roast Beef.
Where Do You Find A Dog With No Legs?
Right Where You Left Him.
Why Do Gorillas Have Big Nostrils?
Because They Have Big Fingers.
Why Don’t Blind People Like To Sky Dive?
Because It Scares The Dog.
What Kind Of Coffee Was Served On The Titanic?
Who’s there ?
Cows who ?
Cows go ‘moo’ not who!
You talk like an owl!
Who’s there !
Lion who ?
Lion on your doorstep, open up !
Who’s there !
Dragon who ?
Dragon your feet again !
Duck who ?
Just duck ! They’re throwing things at us !
Toucan play at this game!
Wood Ant who?
Don’t be afraid. Wood ant harm a fly.
Owl good things come to those who wait.
Baby Owl who?
Baby Owl see you later.
Spider what everyone says. I like you!
Safari so good!
Laughing Tentacles who?
You would laugh too, if I gave you tentacles.
For all intents and porpoises the case is closed.
Rhino every knock knock joke there is.
Rhino which way the wind blows.
Rabbit up carefully, it’s fragile
Goat to believe in magic.
“Bee at my house at hive-o-clock”
Bass the salt and pepper please!
Gorilla me a hamburger
Guitar playing tuna!
Guitar playing tuna who?
Don’t be silly you can’t tuna fish.
I had a roof day
Pig (pick) of the litter.
A chimp off the old block.
Iguana hold your hand.
Oink Oink Who?
Make Up Your Mind…Are You A Pig Or An Owl?